✩ Child is afraid of characters!!!! - ExploreTheMagic.com

• Child is afraid of characters!!!!

13 years 7 months ago #7708 by mickeysgal
    Hey everyone!!!!

So we are going to Disney World in September and my 3 year old is afraid for the characters. I understand it's a shock to see a 6 foot tall character standing in front of you, so I don't fault her. This will be her third time to WDW. The first year, she was 9 months, so we were able to get quite a few pictures. Last year, at almost three she was petrified... (Santa and the Easter Bunny frighten her, too). She would cry at some and others she would stand off to the side and wave. This year we are going with our two year old and I would love to get pictures of both of them with the characters. My son will have no problem, he's very friendly and outgoing.

I won't force her to see the characters, like I see some parents do, so my question is...have any of you gone through this? Is there any special tricks to getting her to get her picture taken without making her uncomfortable? Do they grow out of this? I see so many other little kids run up and hug the characters, and I live for the day my daughter is that comfortable.

Thanks a million!!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 years 7 months ago #7709 by Michael
    Get a large Mickey and Minnie (every WDW fan shoiuld have set anyways) and start with those. When you go meet Mickey let the handler know that you child has this issue (for lack of better terms) and ask to be the last one in the room (they bring them in in groups), once in the room let those handlers know there is a fear issue and the characters will usually come to their knees if possible getting a little closer to the child's view. Whatever you do, don't try to force it but repeat your attempts several times throughout the day and by the end of the day she will be comfortable with them. To be honest the Easter Bunny and Santa both scare me a litte too!

Direct from WDW!

13 years 7 months ago #7712 by SleepinCatz
    We found out 3 days before our 2nd trip to WDW that my brother was afraid of the Larger charaaters. This was way back when they had Winnie the Pooh at Sears from time to time. My brother is and always will be a huge Pooh fan, but that day he flipped out! He saw the giant pooh and scrambled over my dads head to get away. We thought the trip would be a diaster....but someone told us to call WDW and talk to them. We got detaials as to when and where the meet and greets are and the parades. He loved the parades, the characters are farther away...but it took most of the trip to get him to go near the characters. Just be paitewint and do what Michael suggests....He is right on the money!

13 years 7 months ago #7716 by Clareyloo
    my brother had this issue to but we managed to help him through. first take him to see the characters that are able to talk to her such as alice in wonderland, mary poppins and peter pan. the silence was a big fear factor for my brother

All You Need Is Faith And Trust And Pixie Dust

13 years 7 months ago #7720 by mickeysgal
    Thanks guys...I knew that letting her take her time would be the best answer. My husband feels the opposite, but my daughter is like me, quiet and shy, where my son is like my husband...they'll talk to anyone. Just today at the gas station, my husband spent almost 10 minute talking to an elderly gentleman, and when he got in the car I aked if he knew him and he said no, the man just wanted to talk. Somehow my husband seems meet these people. Anyway, we planned out all our meals, and left the character meal til the last day...my theory is that a week of seeing the characters, might make the Playhouse Disney lunch a little easier. We'll just take it one step a time. My friend had a princess at her daughter's bday, and my daughter was good with her, so I'm going to take your advice a visit them if we see them.

P.S. the story about the little brother climbing up for the father's head is so funny....my daughter does that to my husband in those situations....for some odd reason she only feels safe when she's at the highest point possible (I guess).

13 years 7 months ago #7722 by disneydiva55
    i actually had this probablem when i was little. i eventually grew out of it when my mom told that they werent going to hurt me and all they want to do is see you. thats why they came out, just to see you. i dont know but it helped.

I Love disney!!

Time to create page: 0.196 seconds