How to save money for a Disney vacation! | Disney World
Most of us are not rich and don't want to spend our savings on a Disney vacation so here is a list of ideas and ways to generate income or savings towards your next Disney vacation.
- Earn money (cashback, gift cards etc) with Swag Bucks. This site actually works and does in fact pay. I prefer Amazon Gift cards but they have many other options.
- eBay the things you never use or just about anything for that matter
- Start a spare change jar and then put that change once a month into a (next line)
- High yield savings account (an separate account with no ATM access just for your vacation) and you could also combine that with a (next line)
- Ask for Disney Dollars for birthday gifts or other things you might receive gifts for, they can be purchased at any Disney store!
- Shop online and look for coupon codes. I personally save a lot of money by shopping online because you don't pay tax (unless the store in your own state) and the prices are better then combine that with online promotions and coupons and you'll find you can save a lot of money. For example I buy all my electronics, gadgets and other such things at http://www.NewEgg.com because their prices are hard to beat and the customer service is exceptional. Try shopping engines like, http://www.nextag.com/ or http://www.google.com/products to find the very best prices on what you want!
- Use less EVERYTHING! I know this sounds simple but really, simply use less. Eat less, drive less, stop using paper towels, don't print every funny email, don't eat out as much, don't be wasteful... those things add up! I'm the electric cop around my house and even went as far as to hook up my electric hot water tank to a timing system via X10 which is controlled by my computer. Yes, this saves a ton, you see the system is controlled by a $50 piece of computer hardware and a $99 electrical piece that basically shuts of the hot water tank all day except for 2 hours in the morning and 2 hours at night which has been saving me roughly $40 -$50 a month on my electric. I run various other things on the X10 system (over head lighting etc) but the other things that you might not think of is setting up your kids bedroom TV (or whatever) to shut off at 11 pm (my kids used to sleep with the TV on) and I can run these things on cheap appliance modules from my local Radio Shack for about $10 each. Just some more "less ideas": turn back that A/C, plan your driving more carefully, shop online (again because it saves taxes and fuel!), eat left overs (ya, that stinks I know) amnd just think about things before you use them!
- Shop for cheaper auto insurance!
- Look for Disney discount codes, remember you can apply discount codes even after your vacation is booked (up to like 120 days before you leave).
- Budget, budget, budget and stick to it (Thanks Harra!). I always ask my wife "what would you do if we didn't have any money" when she goes to pick up that expensive hair product or buy something we really don't need. We used to be really, really, really poor but we managed so I often remind her that having some money is not a reason to spend it.
- Don't let those checkout line items get you and remind your kids when they want that new toy that it will result in less money going into the Disney vacation fund (Thanks T1nk!)
- Renegotiate your credit card interest rates and preferably pay them off. Most people don't realize that if you are persistent enough you can get your credit card company to lower your rates and if they won't, cancel that card but be warned canceling credit cards can dink your credit score little.
- Ask for a small raise at work then put those extra pennies into that savings account! Don't be shy and don't worry about getting fired just ask yourself a few easy questions: 1) have you been there more than one year without a raise? 2) are you a good employee 3) do you deserve it!
- Pick up some extra hours or baby-sit or do something to earn some extra dollars, again straight into that savings account.
- Leave some money in your Disney vacation fund as seed money for the next vacation! Nobody likes to start from $0 so leave some money in that savings account for the next go around.
- Okay, so not all these ideas apply to you and maybe you can't bend on some things but maybe, just maybe there was a few ideas above that will help you save for your next Disney vacation. The secret to a great vacation is budgeting, planning, and knowing that it won't be perfect and also don't forget to relax on your vacation! Remember, saving money is just the first step, planning is also very important but we'll help make that a bit easier as well, start your Disney vacation planning here!